About Us, and the Blog

an expat guide to cooking abroad


We are two expats currently living in Thailand who are big foodies and love to cook. While cooking familiar and new foods can be a little difficult overseas, especially where we live (not in a major city), there are also great, fresh ingredients available at markets that can turn into some truly delicious dishes.

We're challenging ourselves to be creative with what we have, cook more from scratch, and to appreciate the ingredients available to us. We also look forward to sharing our adventures with you, and hope that you enjoy reading and trying some of our recipes - whether you also live in a challenging cooking environment or have the ingredients at your fingertips.

23 September 2012

Cooking up a Bit of Fall

My apartment smells like fall right now.  If I close my eyes, I can almost pretend I'm back in New England.  When I open my eyes, of course, the palm trees and lush vegetation kind of give it away, plus its a bit warmer here than Vermont right now. 

This is not Vermont.
But, the seasons are changing, and the nights are pleasantly cool.  If I had to guess, I'd say during the day in the shade it might get down to the low 80s, which is progress as far as I'm concerned. Plus, there's a fairly constant breeze (and sometimes its just downright windy) which helps a lot. So, I think its the closest to the beginning of fall as we're going to get.

The little 'sweaters' the apples come in is kinda cute. But wasteful. This apple is from China, not Vermont. Clearly not as delicious.
Being a good Vermonter, when I sense fall, I immediately look for the nearest apple.  And commence cooking every form of apple dish possible.  Right now, my possibilities are rather limited by lack of oven (which will hopefully be rectified soon), but I can make at least one thing - applesauce!


Growing up, my mom would make homemade applesauce in huge vats and freeze it in empty Cool Whip containers so we could eat it all winter.  Sometimes I would help press out the seeds and cores by working a wooden paddle around a mesh funnel over a bowl. This time, I am cooking in a deep frying pan over an electric burner, and since I have nothing to strain with, I had to leave out the cores, cutting back on valuable apple material.  But, it still tastes - and smells - great!
Look at those little bubbles of yumminess releasing yummy smell into the air!
So, all you expats out there who need a bit of fall in their lives, go ahead and make yourself some super-simple stovetop applesauce!

Basic Stovetop Applesauce 

Equipment: just a burner, electric or gas
'Splurge'/hard to find Ingredients: None, really, if you are addicted to cinnamon like me and feel its a staple. But its not strictly necessary in this anyway.


6 apples (I used Gala, but that was what looked best in the store. I've used other kinds before.)
1/8-1/4 C white sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
cinnamon to taste (optional)
nutmeg to taste (optional)
1-2 C water

1. Chop up the apples into about 1-inch pieces.  You can leave the cores if you have a way to strain it, and you don't have to peel the apples unless you want super-smooth applesauce.
2. Put the apple pieces, sugar, about 1/4 C of the water, and cinnamon and nutmeg (if using) in a pan on the stove, and simmer on medium-low.  Add water if needed to keep the apples from burning before they've released all their own water.
3. Let simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the texture is right.  Make sure not to simmer too long, or it'll keep reducing into something like apple pie filling (which is also delicious and could be used to top ice cream, etc... so, do let simmer too long if you want).
4. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment