About Us, and the Blog

an expat guide to cooking abroad


We are two expats currently living in Thailand who are big foodies and love to cook. While cooking familiar and new foods can be a little difficult overseas, especially where we live (not in a major city), there are also great, fresh ingredients available at markets that can turn into some truly delicious dishes.

We're challenging ourselves to be creative with what we have, cook more from scratch, and to appreciate the ingredients available to us. We also look forward to sharing our adventures with you, and hope that you enjoy reading and trying some of our recipes - whether you also live in a challenging cooking environment or have the ingredients at your fingertips.

16 April 2013

Chicken Noodle Soup

This is my first experiment in rice cooker cookery during which I actually left the apartment during the cooking process. This is supposed to be one of the benefits of using a rice cooker, and it is still pretty hands-off, but usually I’m afraid to leave it cooking while I’m gone, in case it dries out.

But since this time I was making soup, I thought it might work. So I threw all the ingredients into the rice cooker, with plenty of water, and went for a run in the campus of the university that’s right up the street from our apartment. When I got back, I had delicious chicken noodle soup! Perfect.

For this recipe I used leftover barbeque chicken from this delicious Texas-style barbeque place in town, but you can also use any grilled chicken that is – at least in Thailand – available on the side of the street all over the city, especially at dinner time.

I also used egg noodles, because I like the taste and texture, but you can use any kind of noodles. The flour from the fresh egg noodles did thicken the soup, which I liked, but be aware that it will be a little thicker than your traditional chicken noodle soup if you use fresh egg noodles.

Chicken Noodle Soup


1 -2 C shredded chicken (pre-cooked)
1 large potato, cubed
1 large carrot, sliced
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 handfuls of egg noodles (or other noodles)
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
2 cubes of bouillon (chicken or vegetables0
salt and pepper to taste
depending on whether the chicken is already seasoned, you may want to add more seasoning, such as ginger, chilies, or cumin.
Bread to serve with (optional).

Add all ingredients to the rice cooker and add enough water to reach about two inches above the ingredients. Start the rice cooker, and leave for about 45 minutes. Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment